Emmanuel United Church provides opportunities for youth to be involved and explore their faith. Life is a journey of faith and Emmanuel is a great community to grow in! Our youth ministry is a response to God for youth, with youth and by youth.
The United Church of Canada has a legal, moral and spiritual duty to care for and protect participants in our church programs. This is a legal principle called "Duty of Care" and church groups have been and will be, held legally responsible for ensuring reasonable measures are taken to ensure safety. Two adult leaders (over the age of 18) must be present for any child/youth gathering. For youth events and retreats, an additional leader for groups greater than 12 (keeping a ratio of approximately one adult per 6 youth) will be needed. Adults wishing to work with the Christian Development program at Emmanuel must complete this application form, include references and consent to a criminal record check as part of our "Duty of Care" screening process.
Emmanuel United Church works to have many opportunities for youth to explore and learn about their faith. Based on the mission statement for youth prepared by the national church we strive to work with and for youth.
PRIORITIES FOR YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULT MINISTRY (12-30 Years)for
THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA
In no particular order:
* To encourage the Church to recognize that Youth and Young Adult Ministry must be owned by the whole community for it to be a priority in the Church. Staff time in Youth and Young Adult Ministry must be increased to reflect this priority.
* To provide a church environment where Youth and Young Adults are welcomed, nurtured and supported both personally and spiritually.
* To provide opportunities for Youth and Young Adults to gather in faith, friendship and in community, locally, regionally and nationally.
* To continue to develop and update the Youth and Young Adult Ministry network across the church to facilitate the sharing of ideas, resources and people.
* To provide training and continuing education in Youth and Young Adult Ministry for people involved in paid accountable ministry.
* To provide opportunities where Youth and Young Adults can participate as full members in the Church. This would include work in all Courts of the Church.
* To provide leadership opportunities for Youth and Young Adults that nurtures both their leadership skills and spiritual life.
Junior Leader in Training - If you are going into grade 7 or 8 we would like to invite you to participate in the Junior Leader in Training Program at Camp Awesome. Download the application form here.
Camp Awesome - Camp Awesome is an awesome opportunity to make crafts, sing, dance, play and learn our faith stories. Emmanuel will host Camp Awesome from July 4 - 7, 2017. Friends, neighbours, grandchildren – everyone aged 4 - 12 years old is welcome. The camp runs from 9:30 am until 4 pm for the four days. Pre and post camp care from 8:15 am until 5:30pm will also be available each day. Download the registration form here.
Movie Night - Youth gather to watch a feature film once per month and look at the world through a faith lens.
Mission Partners - Youth volunteer at the Mission washing, cooking and preparing food on the fourth Sunday afternoon of each month. Download the application form here.
Great Adventures - Youth explore creation while enjoying the following adventures: hiking in the Adirondacks; skiing in the Laurentians; and, canoeing in the wilderness.
Dirt To Delicious Canoe Camp - takes place this summer, July 10-13, at Lac La Peche. This program is for our youth in our grade 5, 6, 7 and 8 Sunday School. Head to the beauty of the Gatineau Hills under the capable leadership of Emmanuel leaders and have an amazing adventure in the great outdoors! A canoe-in camp site, the jumping off rock, turtles, singing and friendships.Download the Dirt To Delicious Canoe Camp form here.
The Great Hiking Adventure - is a camping weekend in the high peaks region of the Adirondack State Park in New York State this fall (date to be determined) with team building, fun, friends, physical fitness and worship. Celebrate creation !!!! This program is for youth in grade 7 and 8 accompanied by a parent and youth in high school and beyond.
Faith is explored through service learning trips with various partners in North America and beyond! Visits have included partners in Nicaragua and El Salvador, as well as Habitat for Humanity throughout the US.
Justice Initiatives have included a fair trade fair, Halloween for Hunger to gather food for the local food banks and, the World Vision Famine.